Saturday, April 30, 2011

About Me


Writing happens to me, like love, like the weather. It makes me a million things more, it gives me an adrenaline rush, and at times it induces an enveloping, nurturing calm. Sometimes, I write for myself, and sometimes, just to be read. I love words. Words that are soft and simple and still magnificent in their implication, and the way they are pronounced. I would not be me but for this congenital love for words, and stories. I love everything simple, and everything old and classy. I love the scent of old yellow pages of books, and the scent of the earth satiated by rain. I love beautiful Rajasthani ornaments, Victorian buildings, old, heavy metal boxes that contain secrets, and stories, of lives lived long ago. May be that's why I love all things old, the story part - stories that are hidden in a smile in a black and white picture, in the wrinkles at the back of hands, in the silver of the hair, in large dusty, sound-echoing rooms, in the widespread roots of age-old trees that still stand with enviable dignity; which reminds me, I love trees, and flowers, and mountains, valleys, rivers, deserts, and oceans. They overwhelm me, they whisper to me in the language of the universe,and they love me too, I think. I love having leisure, like now, to sit and write about all things I love, or to stop and smile at a child, to click pictures, to hold an old man's hand and listen to his stories, to stare at the star studded night sky, and relive the fairytales of childhood. I love the distant sound of the namaaz. I laugh, pray and cry a lot. I love being foolish. I love to narrate, if you'll listen.

P.S. The picture was taken by me near the Holsten Gate, Lubeck, Germany.

11 comments:

Jae Rose said...

Words surely can be such a pleasure..glad you have them..Jae :)

Darshan Chande said...

Very poetic. Very soothing.

The Write Girl said...

Your thoughts are so lovely...you certainly express the joy and love of writing. Thank you for following me. I will be happy to follow you.

Kartik said...

very nice...

Tulika Verma said...

Thank you...all of you!

Helen said...

Tulika,
You mentioned on my blog that you'd like to try painting. You should... but... my goodness, you are already a painter... a painter of words. Your words flow in a way that make me want to savor the imagery... make me read slowly, stop, imagine... make me want to google the words that are odd to my country and see what they must be in yours... make me want to open your blog late at night when there are no other sounds or activities to interrupt...
Lovely, lovely, my friend from far away who paints with words
H

Tulika Verma said...

H,
These must be the most beautiful words anyone has ever left on my blog. I know what you mean when you talk about browsing through a blog late at night when there is nothing to disturb you...I have done that a lot too...with many different blogs...there is so much beauty and love in art, and it is so wonderful that we are able to share it all at the click of a button...Your words and your beautiful blog gave me inspiration. Thank you

Janardhan Raju said...

Hi Tulika,

Today i just find your blog through orkut. Your blog was really awesome.

It's very pleasure for me to read your blog.....

Following your blog.:))))

Unknown said...

So Simple still elegant introduction that I already began to feel that i know the owner of this blog.

The sepia pictures in your blog are really beautiful and capture attention of a reader. Keep up the good work.

Rigzin Namgyal said...

..wonderful writing Tulika..
..i just loved the power of your writing..
..writing is a gift..and you have been blessed by this gift..
..keep on bleeding words.. very soon the world will be ur oyster..
..all the very best..
..have a wonderful journey.. :)

Unknown said...

Hello Tulika,

Its a treat and a great pleasure to have come across your blogs. Love the way you express your thoughts and that with such a ease.Have recently switched to blogging though used to write for self in personal journal.I have just one word for you and your blog - awesome!

Naren.